Wednesday, March 30, 2011

hello sunshine

I read seven chapters of Blue Like Jazz last night before bed, and then I finished it off before work today. I read it a couple summers ago, and I remember how it warmed my spirit. It warmed me again today. I like the idea that we can be friends with an author, though we have never spoken or seen each other in real life. I admire Don Miller because of his vulnerability with his audience. They're making a movie of Blue Like Jazz, if you didn't know, and I'm really excited about it. I have high expectations, but I have a feeling I'm really going to love it.

Today, though plagued by headaches and two hours of work, was a good day. I don't embrace good things often enough. So today, I'm making a point to mention that today was GOOD. The kind of good I've always called good. The kind of good that reminds me of previous goods. Which is good. I need to be reminded of good. I need to be reminded of peace, of happiness, of contentment. I think I don't often let positive experiences or people influence me positively. I'm not sure why. Possibly because I'm afraid that positive experiences will somehow hurt me and consequently become negative. Blah.

I don't know why Blue Like Jazz always gets me to see and embrace the good in my day. And I just mean today. Today I am just referring to today. Today I am experiencing good and giving good, being good. What a revolution. :)

Today I see beauty. In everything. I see potential good to be done. Today I see how things can be seen in more than one way, and reacted to in more than one way. Today I see more than what I saw yesterday, or the day before that. Today people are interesting, and funny, and new. And not intimidating or frustrating or difficult. Today I am one of them, one of those fun, beautiful, light people.

It's been a sort of stumbling time for me lately. I've not been sleeping well. But today...I walked without tripping.

Today I am different. The change is subtle, but I feel it. And I will smile about it.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you know that I miss you, and I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post, it's authentic. The struggle between a good day and the usually unimpressive ones is a struggle I am too familiar with. I've felt that same lack of joy, lack of ability to even see the good in my days and it's so refreshing for a day where you can feel that happiness (seemingly out of no where). I can't wait to read more posts!

    ReplyDelete