Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Brielle

I love love LOVE how music makes me feel things. Adam Young of Owl City (who I feel a strange and imagined connection to because he's from Minnesota and also one of Jenessa's many famous friends) is releasing some of his previous work under the name Sky Sailing, and I, on a whim, pre-ordered it. Part of the deal was that they give you one song upfront, so that's what I'm listening to right now. It's called "Brielle". I love guitar. Ah, what refreshing greatness.

I like that music reassures me of who I am and how things are. It's awesome that you can literally hear the way things are for you in life. Does that make sense to anyone else? It isn't even necessarily about the lyrics... I love hearing a song and then thinking "that's me- right there- if my soul could sound like something, it would sound like that." I love it so much because some other person created that. It makes me feel less alone to think that somebody else's soul looks like mine from time to time. Pretty awesome.

I'm never afraid to get caught up in a song. Ever.

No matter how much I fall for a song, it doesn't harm me- it can only enhance my musical tastes, capacity for emotion, love of art, and need to experience. In the middle of a song, I'm not afraid. In the middle of a song, anything is possible and time passes unnoticed. I love that a song is a moment, not just four minutes and six seconds. Songs are home to me. Oh what a concept, a song.

Life seems containable when it's taken in dosages measured by moments. Maybe it's because I started working in a pharmacy this week that's causing me to think of it as a prescription- I can see it now; "take one moment daily" it says on the label, with a green sticker instructing me to take each moment with music and inspiration before noon.

It feels good for my heart to be stimulated. Like a deep, fresh breath of air, here I am. If you ever need to find me- this is where I'll be. This is where I'll be hiding, waiting for the coast to clear. Please don't be afraid to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment